[wp-hackers] Trackback Spam

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 19:49:37 GMT 2005

Rob Mientjes wrote:

>On 7/22/05, Lorelle VanFossen <lorelle at cameraontheroad.com> wrote:
>

>>It looks like comment spammers are changing their approach and coming in
>>through trackbacks, and they are growing. There will be questions about
>>this soon on the forum and we need to be prepared to answer them. Are
>>trackbacks handled through spam filters like comments?
>>

>It's been like that for quite some time. Spam Karma was too strict and
>made some several false positives, so I tried the Spaminator, but that
>doesn't work on Trackbacks. Oh well, I commented out most of
>wp-trackback.php. Not a functionality I need, especially because it's
>too easy to spoof.

Spam Karma 2 && Bad Behaviour provide very good protection against
trackback spammers.  which are definetly not a new/recently increasing
thing from what I see.

The original Spam Karma was not as good against trackbacks.
I believe in wp 1.2 trackbacks didn't go through the same route as
comments and so were harder to run through spam checks hence why older
spam tools are not any good against them

--
westi