[wp-hackers] Forum post: Huge server hits

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Thu Jul 14 15:15:05 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/38937
>
>  "as a recation to the attacks in london we set up a website called
> werenotafraid.com, and we are running it on a wordpress blog. i am not
> pimping the project here, my questions is of a somewhat technical nature.
>
> the project has really taken off, we had 11 million hits in just a few
> days, but we had to notice that the wordpress software was not able to
> deal with the load:"
>
> It's been linked from the BBC too so the problem will remain. I've
> pointed the guy at staticise-reloaded, but maybe this number of hits
> needs something more ?

FWIW, the footer on the site now says that they are no longer running WP
(though it appears to be a static template originally generated and
saved from WP).

Also, the site (http://werenotafraid.com/) was mentioned on Good Morning
America today (in a segment that lasted about 5 minutes and included an
interview with Alfie, the site's creator), so they're likely to get yet
another burst of traffic.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/