[wp-hackers] Forum post: Huge server hits

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Wed Jul 13 06:46:20 GMT 2005

Quoting Matthew Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com>:

> Owen Winkler wrote:
>> I took large segments of your post, reworded some things, added a
>> bunch, and posted it here:
>>
>> http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Ringmaster/WordPress_in_High_Traffic
>>
>> Everyone please edit and extend.
>
> I think it makes sense to put things in order of practicality. It's much
> easier to use gzip or install a caching plugin than changing your
> network interface or bandwidth peering arrangements. I *seriously* doubt
> that anyone who has asked about this in the forums was running into
> network card limitations.

Peering arrangements are a good idea, but compression will not deal with
increase that scales by orders of magnitude. Network card limitations are very
hard to meet. Many dedicated server come with dual Gigabit Ethernet
cores. Even Slashdot cannot beat that in terms of bandwidth unless Tiger for
Intel architecture is up for grabs. If Slashdotted sites go doolaly, you can
always use the Network Mirror provided that you don't need very much browsing
depth.

http://www.networkmirror.com/

Roy

--