[wp-hackers] Forum post: Huge server hits

John Sinteur john at sinteur.com
Tue Jul 12 20:05:52 GMT 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 9:56 PM, Podz wrote:

> I do not think it unreasonable for WP to have an answer which
> people could be told to pass to their host. Make the contents of
> that answer as  geeky and as technical as you want because right
> now it is better than what we have - which at best is guesswork,
> and at worst nothing.

The correct answer is "you'll need somebody with expertise".

In fact, that's how I earn a living. www.kpn.com is the website for
the largest dutch telco, and one of the top-ten sites in the
Netherlands. I'm one of the technical architects. It's my job to make
it deal with the load.

There *is* no easy answer. With the current state of technology,
you'll need somebody who knows his way around servers that get a
load. That will cost money. My hourly rates for this kind of stuff is
not low.

Perhaps in *cough* years, technology will be at a point where this is
a no-brainer. I suspect Google will play a big role in that, but this
form isn't really the place to elaborate on that.

At best, you'll get to a point where you can say "up to load X,
you'll be fine with a generic pentium 4 server" but if I recall the
start of this thread, the load was unexpectedly high.

-John