[wp-hackers] 500 euros for WP + plugins

Amit Gupta amit at igeek.info
Sat Jul 9 19:29:45 GMT 2005

Thanks Mark, that does clear up parts of GPL that I didn't understand and some misconceptions that GPL software can't be sold. Until now, I thought that you can't sell GPL software but can charge to distribute it. :)

-----
Amit Gupta

|| Canned!! -- my Atropine || iG:Syntax Hiliter v3.1 ||
|| iGEEK.INFO || Free Nokia Ringtones || Online Gaming @ Games Planet ||

---------- Original Message from mark.wordpress at txfx.net ----------
mit Gupta wrote:
I've read the GPL quite a number of times and just read it again!! As I understand it, you can charge for supplying the software(like RedHat used to charge for Linux by providing it on CDs) and you can charge for any support or support materials like manuals, handbooks etc. but you can't charge for the code, the software. Am I wrong in understanding GPL? If I'm wrong, then would you please put me right & explain where I am wrong in understand it?(we'll keep the GPL in context of this topic only & not discuss other parts of GPL if not relevant here)

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

 Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money?
    Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLRequireAvailabilityToPublic

If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge?
    No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.

See also:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html