[wp-hackers] the future of wordpress: objects and media data?

Matthias Tarasiewicz p.a.r.a.s.e.w at gmx.net
Thu Jul 7 12:16:50 GMT 2005

i started a thread in the wordpress support forum, where podz told me
to join the wp-hackers list and discuss it there (that's exactly what
i am doing right now)
the thread is here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/38501

i am reposting my questions again here - i am wondering how far is
the integration of media content and what is planned as final for the
1.6 release?

greetings,
matthias tarasiewicz

i started a thread in the wordpress support forum, where podz told me
to join the wp-hackers list and discuss it there (that's exactly what
i am doing right now)
the thread is here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/38501

i am reposting my questions again here - i am wondering how far is
the integration of media content and what is planned as final for the
1.6 release?

greetings,
matthias tarasiewicz

i was watching several blogging frameworks, including movabletype and
typepad, trying to find the best that suited my needs. wordpress is
for me the weapon of choice now, >although i am still missing some
important features.
i think the main problem of wordpress, or better to say a needed
feature would be to include some better way to deal with media
contents, such as in manila or other big systems. photoblogs are
gaining more and more popularity, but the main problem is, that
wordpress at its current state does not link media content to posts.
this could be achieved in 2 ways:

1. create a unique name for objects that are uploaded, that could be
referred to via some sort of template-syntax: if i upload the picture
test.jpg for example, name it "test", i should be able to include it
into any post with some sort of syntax: e.g.((test))

2. make post-permalink-names folders in the system and put all the
pics and media content inside. with this feature it would also be
possible to get dynamically all the pics for example, to build a
picturemap. in the current wordpress 1.5, there is no logical
connection between media content and posts.

another way to go could be with relations in the database and the
first point i mentioned above, the objects. in the admin, users could
define which media is related to which post.

is there anything like this planned for upcoming worpress releases?