[wp-hackers] User Capabilities

Mark Ghosh mark at wltc.net
Fri Jul 1 15:34:09 GMT 2005

Ryan Boren wrote:

>I'd prefer to get away from user levels entirely.  A user can either
>edit other users' posts, or not.
>
>A more useful and understandable model would be to limit roles to
>categories.

I have to agree. The user level system has never been quite as
transparent as I would have liked it (as a Wordpress user).
 From my professional experience, a detailed user flags system with
flags (or bits flags) which can be modified through a user management
page, have worked very well.

I see three seperate groups of "flags" in Wordpress.
1) A set of Program flags - which could allow entry into and
modification of items that control the whole Wordpress install.
2) A set of Function flags - which could control allowed functions for
each user (can send pings, can create categories)
3) A set of Category flags - which could control a users' involvement
and control over each category (can edit, can delete from category)

For backwards compatibility we could assign a pre-determined set of
flags for each user level and populate the user_flags variable at the
beginning of each session.

Something to think about.

Mark Ghosh