[wp-hackers] Automatic Saving?

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sat Dec 31 19:38:55 GMT 2005

_____/ On Sat 31 Dec 2005 19:11:39 GMT, [Jeff Minard] wrote : \_____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> It  would cause a mess in my opinion. I always CTRL+A, CTRL+C before I ap-
>> ply  any  changes. WordPress tried to 'help' with the markup and is  some-
>> times  devouring  code and/or text in process. What I proposed before  was
>> keeping  a  stack of versions so that one can undo, reverting to  previous
>> states for the reason listed above.
>
> I *know* versioning plugins exist for wordpress. That, however, is a
> separate issue.

If  one intends to save automatically, it is not completely separate. Text
editors  (or,  more broadly, word processors for that matter) do not  save
ant  changes until the user triggers it. They accumulate emergency  copies
in  the background, so there you have a stack; if not in memory, then in a
physical file.

>> Other concerns: some people might edit off-line or be in the midst of typ-
>> ing. It's too unpredictable.
>
> AJAX doesn't need to interupt the user while auto saving.
> Additionally, if the AJAX call fails (offline, time out, etc) a
> cookie can be Javascript'ed to hold the data. Later on WP could
> recognize the cookie and say "Hey, you were working on a post" and
> proceed.

Good point. I was thinking about pre-AJAX-hype versions of WordPress.

Roy