[wp-hackers] Importing custom format into WordPress

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Dec 30 16:05:33 GMT 2005

This thread has me wondering whether a generic Metaweblog import had
been considered, since it might be able to get more of the intrinsic
data from the imported blog.

This leads me to another question/thought - Is there a way to point a
new WordPress installation at an old one and import EVERYTHING?
Settings, users, comments, etc.?

I suppose that if you're going to import everything, you might as well
do a databse backup and restore, but it might be handier for those who
are less inclined to mess with phpMyAdmin to have a way to transfer data
from one site to another.  Particularly if all you're transferring is
user data or settings.

At the least, it might be an interesting project to beef up the
WordPress XMLRPC offerings to include access to any database data
provided the user has the correct credentials.  Maybe an interesting
plugin project.

Owen