[wp-hackers] select all users with role X

Aaron Brazell aaron at technosailor.com
Tue Dec 27 03:22:20 GMT 2005

On 12/26/05, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:

> I'd like to send an email to all the users with the Administrator role.
>
> Since the roles are stored as a serialized array in the usermeta table,
> I need to iterate over the entire user table to find all the
> administrators.  I _could_ cheat for the time being and use the
> deprecated wp_user_level value, but that's just avoiding the issue.
>
> In many circumstances, iterating over the user table won't be a big
> deal, because the number of registered users is so small.  This is,
> historically, because there is very little value for readers to become
> registered users.  The newest version of my subscribe2 plugin is likely
> to change that, and I suspect that some of my users are going to see
> some reasonably large user lists.  Iterating over these to parse each
> array of roles seems like a real waste of an RDBMS.
>
> Short of re-working the roles and capabilities system, does anyone have
> any tricks up their sleeves that might help?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Hmmmm... without iterating over the user table? Maybe create an item in
the options table with an array of user ids updated whenever a user is
added to the admin group?  Would probably require a one time user table
scan when the plugin is installed to get all current admins and could be
added to after that.

I almost think iterating over the entire table would be more worthwhile,
but I don't know.