[wp-hackers] 1.5.2

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Thu Aug 11 09:58:17 GMT 2005

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> Nikolay Bachiyski wrote:
>
>> Creation of a user theme from the default one.
>> Both implies ugly theme directory name and actually doesn't work when
>> the name contains non-ascii symbols.
>>
>> Solution: just don't create it. Is actually anybody using this?
>

> Well, the idea is that if people want to start tweaking the default
> theme, at least they'll have something to fall back on if it breaks.
> Also, the default theme directory is used as a fallback if your theme,
> for instance, doesn't include comments.php, so there is an incentive to
> keep the default theme virginal.
>
> Perhaps we should just ship with two copies of the default theme.
> Yeah... I know... makes the download bigger... but it gets around the
> naming problems (just call it /my-theme/ or something), and it gets
> around the problems with people who don't have a writable
> /wp-content/themes/ directory.

I admit the idea of a user theme is not bad...

However the active theme after install is the 'default' one and it is
not indicated anywhere that if I want to edit something I should edit
'my theme', and not the default one. Maybe if we ship with a second copy
of the default theme (as you suggested) and make it active by default
the users will edit this one and transparently leave the default theme
virginal. Thus we will solve both problems: non-writable themes/
directory and non-ascii characters in blog name.

Before we consider this option, maybe we should investigate if users
often mess up their themes and if the user theme is *really* needed.

Nikolay.