[wp-hackers] suggestions for the next (not immediate)release

Matthew Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Thu Aug 11 04:45:39 GMT 2005

Robert Deaton wrote:
> Well, if there's one place where WordPress could be optimized, it is
> the SQL. A really nice way to optimize would be to use relationships,
> but that's still a mysql 5 feature, so its not a particularly good
> idea. I think one way to opitmize for speed and not space would be to
> put more indecies on the SQL tables. One major improvement I think we
> would see is using post_date and post_date_gmt as an index, since a
> lot of the fetching is done by date.

There was a thread on this before I believe. MySQL only uses one index
per query, so adding indicies doesn't always help things. You can test
out adding an index to every field in the posts table and see if it
changes the speed any, but in my testing it hasn't.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com