[wp-hackers] 1.5.2

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Tue Aug 9 17:50:21 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> I completely agree about concise. But I do think we need to remind
> people about files they may have altered - I cannot be the only person
> to have clicked 'delete' from the server only to shout "NOOO!" instantly
> - such as vars.php for smileys, wp-admin.css, root files, the odd files
>   that for some reason live outside the norm.

I'm of the opinion that if someone has modified a core file, we've
already failed. You don't need to edit vars.php to change smilies, you
can override the array in wp-config, my-hacks, or a plugin. Same for
anything to do with wp-admin.css (like the Tiger plugin does). We should
be doing everything in our power to stop people from modifying core
files because it makes the burden on support so much greater.

> What I think we should aim for is keep the readme guide as is, but add a
> link. The directions for that link would be to suggest that if you are
> in the slightest bit unsure / modded your install, then click a link and
> go read some more. If we can spell it out it might help.

Sounds good.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://photomatt.net  | http://wordpress.org