[wp-hackers] Making it better

Brian Dupuis wordpress at coldforged.org
Thu Apr 21 19:57:14 GMT 2005

Matthew Mullenweg wrote:

> I'm curious how the list thinks the community could be improved to
> avoid the concerns voiced in comments like this:
>
> http://www.plasticbag.org/archives/2005/04/links_for_20050421.shtml

I had a big long response typed up and then realized it boils down to
the universal axiom: you can't please all of the people all of the time.
To get up and running with a functioning blog in WordPress is typically
a 2-step process that no one can beat. People that want to do advanced
things with no knowledge of PHP may have a hard time. Some plugins are
easy to use and others aren't. The support forums are incredibly helpful
and supportive, but few people are willing to write someone's site for
them with every little quirk that they want so sometimes people will be
disappointed at the level of support.

That said, some thoughts:

1. For plugins, turn wp-plugins.org into more. I know there are plans
for that. Perhaps have it be more moderated, such that plugins are peer
reviewed to certain standards before listed, standards that would
obviously need to be defined (e.g. plugin doesn't diminish the security
of the install). Perhaps more code sharing and discussion in terms of
plugin functionality so that less user-level PHP diddling is required in
some cases (e.g. some plugins have elegant ways of using filters to
insert/manipulate data such that actual function calls aren't added to
templates) for more "one-step plugin installation" situations. That
doesn't mean that only certain people are allowed to write plugins, but
plugins that aren't "on the list" aren't supported on the forums and
will be handled by the plugin author.

2. Further support forum functionality would be helpful, as mentioned by
others. If nothing else, paging through the "Latest Discussions" would
make it easier to browse the entire list.

3. There is no three. Currently.

    Regards,
    Brian