[wp-hackers] 1.5.1 Release

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 07:37:13 GMT 2005

On Tue, April 19, 2005 12:22 am, Ryan Boren said:
> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 15:18 -0700, Kyle VanderBeek wrote:
>> >
>> > http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/tags/1.5/
>> >
>> > Repository revision 2361 is what shipped as 1.5.
>>
>> I stand corrected.  I should've browsed the repository itself instead of
>> just using the Trac browser.....  Which I see has now been updated to
>> also show the tags directory.  Or maybe the tags directory was just
>> created.
>
> I just created it after your reminder.  When 1.5 was released we were still on CVS.
> After we imported to svn we never got around to adding a tag.  Luckily, tagging an old
> repository version is very simple in svn.

Nice one Ryan!

On the same note can I make this general plea on behalf of those of us who try and provide live support in #wordpress
as the new version is released.

1.5 appeared on the download page before being announced on the dev blog - the download subsequently changed a number
of times and deciding what version someone had was not easy - this late bug fixing was not very transparanet and not
very helpful!

I understand the need and desire to get some early end user feedback on the actual release before advertising it to
the masses - but changing the download multiple times wasn't nice!  Can I suggest a simple method of avoiding this the
next time round:

When the devs feel that 1.5.1 is ready for release tag and package a release candidate - e.g. wp-1.5.1-rc1 and add
this to the download page alongside the current release with a note to say that that it is a release candidate for the
next release and is hopefully bug free - as the early user easy win bug fixes come in and are fixed new release
candidates wp-1.5.1-rc2, wp-1.5.1-rc3 etc can be tagged and packaged.

Then once you are happy that you have a golden final final 1.5.1 release tag the wp-1.5.1 release and package uplod
and announce.

This ensures that we don't have multiple versions floating around claiming to be the same thing!

And makes it transparent to the people helping solve install etc problems exactly what files someone has got!

Cheers
- --
Peter Westwood
Blog: http://www.ftwr.co.uk/blog/