[wp-hackers] GWAVA Spam Nonsense

Kyle VanderBeek kylev-wp at kylev.com
Thu Apr 14 23:58:26 GMT 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 01:37:01AM +0200, Mihailo Stefanovic wrote:

>    I've  just  read  somewhere  that spamcop.net blacklisted GMail, or at
>    least    some    of    their    servers...    Ah,    here    it    is:
>    [1]http://www.hexus.net/ . Maybe that was the reason?
>
>    Btw.  this just happened to me too. So embarrasing, my own mail server
>    marked  my  own  message  as  a spam, just because I'm on a dial-up of
>    largest local ISP, which someone just decided to blacklist...

Well, blacklisting usually doesn't "just happen".  At least not in my
system.  It's usually for a good reason.  I did notice that some of you
are getting higher-than-usual scores because the dial-up number or IP
address you were assigned had been blacklisted.  If that IP shows up in
Received headers, you'll hit RCVD_IN_* SpamAssassin rules.  Best
solution is to redial or reset your DSL modem and hope you get a
different address assigned by DHCP.

Note, IronPort's Senderbase system is useful for checking all this out:

http://www.senderbase.org/

It has a handy meta-directory of blacklists.