[wp-hackers] Security Vulnerability found

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:17:30 GMT 2005

The way I see this, it is entirely silly that someone would post such a
vunerability.

As far as Denis' comments, if I remember correctly passwords are stored as a
double hashed md5, which would be very tiresome to reverse, although it
would still be possible, but this isn't the way a person would go about
stealing accounts imho. As far as IP address checking, it inadvertantly
defeats the purpose of cookies for those who are on dialup or an ISP that
changes IP addresses constantly. As far as optionally logging off after a
certain period, WordPress already does it, although it is a very long
period. If someone leaves their blog logged in at a cybercafe, there's not
much that can be done to help, except moving to sessions so that when the
browser is closed the session is destroyed. I had a working hacked together
session script, but its been lost in my clutter, but maybe it is something
we should consider and do like many sites do by having a checkbox to use
sessions if at a public terminal.

On 4/13/05, David Chait <davebytes at comcast.net> wrote:

> How about making the user-level below which the restriction is in effect
> be a dropdown list in the options somewhere... and have the lowest be 2, so
> no 'accidents'.
>  -d

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com