[wordpress] Re: [wp-hackers] Themes not all they should be?

denis at semiologic.com denis at semiologic.com
Tue Apr 12 20:04:33 GMT 2005

Greets,

I've been more or less working on 'tiles' in the past few weeks or so. I created
a canvas that could allow me to add and remove features in one click, through
the use of plugins.

http://www.semiologic.com/projects/sem-theme/

It is far from over, but I think I can share a few educated viewpoints.

WordPress is not far from having a temporary solution already. At most, we're
missing a few api hooks like wp_head and wp_footer. Once these are available,
you can create the template as such:

And add a plugin to configure and filter the hooks for your theme -- like I did
in my theme, though arguably not to such an extent.

This has two downsides:

- On the one side, theme authors need to be extremely wary of inserting hooks at
the right places.

- On the other, plugin authors need to be consistent in the way they wrap
plugins, and should probably encapsulate plugin in a way to make it theme
independent -- rather than specifically designed for the Kubrick theme.

Arguably, the above is far from satisfying to the more control hungry users. But
it is good enough for the average blogger who doesn't want to edit a php file.
And quite frankly, I found it good enough to resist the idea (trouble?) of
managing a site with Mambo or Limbo -- WordPress' simplicity gives it a lot
more potential than the two previous.

I think three key key points could make things easier for everyone:

- Having WordPress visit the theme's config.php file immediately after visiting
the plugin files, including when you are in the admin section
- A define_area function for theme authors, that lets them define areas named
'header', 'footer', 'pre_post', etc. as they see fit; a define_tile would
likely be a good idea too
- An option panel called "Plugin Display" panel, where plugins are listed, each
with a select box populated by the current theme's area, to let the user define
where he wants the features he is adding to be displayed

my $.02

--
Denis
http://www.semiologic.com