[wp-hackers] Theme development and hooks.

Firas D. fd at firasd.org
Wed Apr 6 13:32:16 GMT 2005

Chris Davis wrote:

>And the question must be asked, why do I need the header and footer
>functions?  Why must I use a seperate header and footer file for my
>theme?

No, you put wp_header( ) and wp_footer() *somewhere*. Index.php will do.

For example, many themes break wp-cc because I hook into wp_footer to
output the creativecommons.org image.

wp_header() is usually there in every theme so it's not really a concern.

The comment_form is inherited from the default theme if there is no
comments.php so that's not really a requirement. I think that's true of
wp_meta() in sidebar.php too.

Anyway, it's a complex interaction of functions and whatnot, which is
why I was writing a parsing validator.