[wp-hackers] Theme and Plugin Integration

Ryan Duff ryan at ryanduff.net
Mon Apr 4 01:24:18 GMT 2005

Robert Deaton wrote:
> But you can't have functionality without building it into the style. If
> theme authors didn't include do_action statements, you wouldn't be able
> to add any functionality. The WordPress themes are not based around a
> template, and thus give you the greatest possible freedom, and a
> side-effect is that some theme developers, because they are ignorant of
> what happens behind the scenes, leave some things that are essential to
> add functionality out of their themes.

So it all goes back to the theme developers being ignorant. So why not
give theme developers a guide based on
http://boren.nu/archives/2004/11/10/anatomy-of-a-wordpress-theme/
and a standard set of template tags that *should* be included for normal
functionality.

> Plugin developers are having a hell of a time supporting their plugins
> now because theme developers leave actions out, mix everything around,
> and there's no longer a standard way of doing things. Thus, if we can
> resort to a combination of style and functionality, we no longer have to
> worry about it.

Here's another off the wall bug just reported dealing with my plugin and
somebody elses theme...

http://dev.wp-plugins.org/ticket/130

I can't say I can duplicate it because I use the default kubrick
template on my sandbox which includes the wp_list_pages() template tag.
See the mess we're in? Worst part is, its not just me. There are plenty
of others experiencing the same things I am.

--
Ryan Duff
http://ryanduff.net

--