[wp-hackers] Theme and Plugin Integration

Dan Thrue rummanddan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 22:21:40 GMT 2005

I think we are seing past the obvious, I think we should add hooks in
the themes... Im rewriting all my plugins to use do_action and
apply_filters instead of special function calls...

for instance is my new Pages As Navigation plugin called like this
right now at my kubrick theme: (at http://www.rummanddan.dk/)

header.php
>	<ul><?php do_action('rum_flat_menu', ''); ?></ul>

The page plugins has subpages called like:
sidebar.php
> <?php /* wp_list_pages('title_li=<h2>Pages</h2>' ); */ ?>
> <?php do_action('rum_sub_pages', 'before=<li>&title=<h2>Sub pages</h2>&after=</li>'); ?>

This way the theme could have "integrated" the plugins allready if we
started to apply our own hooks the theme authors could start using...

I dont know if this is a good idea yet, but its functionality thats
build in allready and seems to work fine with the core hooks :)

Regards
Dan