[wp-forums] Forum moderation

Petit petit at petitpub.com
Thu Mar 23 01:24:29 GMT 2006

Podz wrote:

>Petit wrote:
>

>>Podz:
>>In the support forum there is a sticky om Forum moderation.
>>It is open for anyone to append to, and maybe it should be closed.
>>Someone just jumped in with a support request and I recommended to start
>>a new thread.
>>

>My thinking:
>- people posting requests into a thread such as the above indicates they
>are having difficulty in working out how to make a new post. While it
>does indeed start spinning things away, it does indicate a need for the
>forum. This has been addressed in the list of things to be done.
>
>- Closing a forum thread about moderation is - for me - a bad thing to do.
>First: it implies that moderation is a static element and discussions we
>have on the list show that it is far from static.
>Second: useful suggestions can and do come from the many users of the
>forums. What we see now is the culmination of knowledge and wasn't a one
>shot wonder from anyone past.

You might be right there Podz. I didn't think of it that way.
After all debate on how to bring the light to the masses, that they
search first and how to behave
in the support forum, I thought of the stickies only as a one way
information from the "owners" of the forum,
i.e. the moderators and other core members.

I have suggested earlier a nice banner like information at the top of
the forum page, giving newcomers
some information on how the forum is supposed to work.
Although it may not be possible to insert, I still think this would be a
good idea.

As for the open sticky on moderation, on second thought, we may need a
thread to discuss the forum itself.
Let's see what happens to it!
/Petit

Petit Publications			petit at petitpub.com