[wp-forums] Forum moderation

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Wed Mar 22 20:13:13 GMT 2006

Petit wrote:
> Podz:
> In the support forum there is a sticky om Forum moderation.
> It is open for anyone to append to, and maybe it should be closed.
> Someone just jumped in with a support request and I recommended to start
> a new thread.

My thinking:
- people posting requests into a thread such as the above indicates they
are having difficulty in working out how to make a new post. While it
does indeed start spinning things away, it does indicate a need for the
forum. This has been addressed in the list of things to be done.

- Closing a forum thread about moderation is - for me - a bad thing to do.
First: it implies that moderation is a static element and discussions we
have on the list show that it is far from static.
Second: useful suggestions can and do come from the many users of the
forums. What we see now is the culmination of knowledge and wasn't a one
shot wonder from anyone past.
Third: It's a _sticky_ and as such a lot of people ignore it after their
first view. This can be a good thing. If someone wants to post every 6
hours about forum moderation in that thread, fine - that thread is
moving nowhere. If we close it then the forum user can legitimately open
a thread and *bump* it repeatedly - that would cause noise and in the
end it would cause us to moderate it - rightly or wrongly. Either way
closing the thread can make work for us.
Having an open thread has far more benefits they way I see it.

P.