[wp-forums] Proposed draft

Moshu moshu at transycan.net
Sun Mar 19 00:03:41 GMT 2006

The important discussions always happen when I go out and am not
around the computer :)
(You guys write a lot... it's not easy to catch up)

Anyway - if it would be a "forum"-like thing then I'd agree 100% with
what Melanie said about closed threads, deleting sellers from wrong
forum, redirecting buyers etc.

However, it seems that Matt's idea is closer to what I suggested at
the very beginning of this discussion: a separate page for commercial
services of the community members.
That I proposed a minor fee and Matt is thinking about a "barrier to
entry" --- is a minor detail, I guess.

To be honest I'd feel kind of "split personality" if while moderating
and helping users for free in one thread... I'd appear in another
thread as someone offering paid services.

It might sound crazy for some of you, but it happened that I told a
newbie struggling with the install to send me an email and I did it
for him (it was easier and faster than trying to do it by 'remote
control'...) - and when he asked how to pay me I refused, saying it
started in the free support forum and I was the one who told him to
contact me, so there is no reason to pay. I am very, very "anal" about
keeping these things separated :)

Of course, if somebody posted they were looking to hire a theme
designer to make a theme that matches their website and left an email
address - I replied in private, give my rate and if they accepted the
job was done. Yes, I do this kind of jobs and I plan to do even more
and to offer other services, too... but you will not find a post of
mine trying to mix the two.

I love(d) to help people in the forum, and even if I was mean
sometimes... I think I helped many WP users. If I return to post in
the forum again - I want to do it so that everybody knows: this is a
free support!
So, if there is a chance to not mix my "business" and my volunteering
that's great. The separate page solution would be better in this
regard.

I wrote all the above to demonstrate that even for us, WP-Forum
veterans (?), this is not an easy issue. If it is to vote ==> my vote
goes to a separate page. Who and how will make the decision about the
'entry barrier'... that might be the next long-long thread here :)

moshu