[wp-forums] "official" policy should be made

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Sat Mar 18 09:22:49 GMT 2006

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Michael B wrote:
>> Um, can you clarify what it is you  like?
>
> I like restricting commercial offerings and requests to the wp-pro
> mailing list, it's what it was created for (sorta).

I subbed to wp-pro for a while - it's not that busy :)
It's also an obstacle course for someone who has a reasonable $20 they
wish to use. It's also an obstacle course for the person offering the
services and using mailing lists can be confusing for some.

I would prefer that we do not go down to commercials in the forums, but
I cannot think how we can avoid them. Can someone write guidelines for
that? Can someone honestly say that the gray area would be minimal?

No-one has addressed an example I wrote earlier:
"Example:
Person A says - in an existing thread - they will install WP along with
a theme and plugins. They will charge $50 and they link to their
www.ego_url.com site.
Person B says - in an existing thread - that DreamHost are great and
leaves a referral link. That link will generate MORE than the $50.
One is commercial, open and they work for the cash.
One is private, possibly hidden to the link clicker and they lift not a
finger for their money.
Which is okay ?"

Another - I say that A Small Orange is a good host and give a straight
link. Bob Parsons (who runs Godaddy) has also joined the forum and he
says that Godaddy can do the job and gives a straight link. Who is
commercial there?

--

Vicki Frei wrote:
> If you're going to offer something for purchase (hosting, themes,
customizations, counseling, hand-holding etc.), then you need to post to
the pro list.  Posting to the support forum will get your post closed,
with a reminder and the list addy.  Outright spam etc. will be treated
to summary execution as per normal.

Matt:
I like that, allowing some or segregated advertising on the forums seems
like something that would just decline very quickly.

Okay... how about a one shot deal? They get a single post which will be
closed. Any replies to that post before we get to close it will be
deleted. They get to make one post per month and previous posts in that
forum will be deleted. And we nofollow links.
Some does post offering ANY services then we edit that post, delete the
content and point very clearly to the 'sticky for sellers'.
Any 'Good Host' threads (they drive me nuts) would also get moved there.
(But then people might post asking if A is better than B.... damn)

People will make a noise about the fact that WP should be free in every
respect etc, but those same people can step up to the plate any time
they choose and give their time and skills for free. Some will, most
will not.

spencerp - your views are very important! IF this were to go ahead then
it will have an impact to some degree on all users, so all users should
be consulted as far as possible. Everyone reading this should post their
view.

TG - I'm for a vote, but only if we can see a way forward IF the vote is
to have it. If we cannot work out how to deal with the problem in both
sceanrios then the vote is invalid.

Or do we not try and get specific? Just have some general rules which we
all agree are as good as we can get - and undecided posts are put to
this group?

P.