[wp-docs] New WordPress Handbook

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Fri Jan 23 00:44:54 GMT 2009

You will have to forgive me for being somewhat disillusioned. I'm sure
that if the same people that have commit access to the WordPress
repository have commit access to the WordPress DocBook repository that
there should be a pretty fast turnaround for patches. That would also
mean that there would be around 5 to 7 people with commit access, which
means more people who will be on the look out for committing patches.

The core team has been extremely good with committing documentation only
patches (what? They don't break anything, so no testing). Whether there
is a similar experience for this new repository is to be seen. I do hope
that there is a quick commit turn-around for patches after a review. I
shouldn't say it will be the experience given that it hasn't been
released yet, so complaining is premature at this point. Well, there
will be a wait period anyway, but I do hope that it isn't more than two
weeks. If it is more than two weeks, then I will say that it is a bad
experience for the new repository.

Me complaining (You don't have to read on):

I think my problem is more or less, I don't think I should need to tell
people that I have a patch ready to be committed or reviewed ('commit'
keyword should work for that). The process appears to be see ticket,
write patch, submit complaint to wp-hackers or IRC to have them
committed. God help you, if the core team or someone from Automattic
disagrees with your patch or the ticket itself. So I always laugh, when
like the commit team or it is mentioned that, patches are committed
easily or tickets need patches (doesn't mean they'll be committed). No,
historically, the process hasn't been as seamless as I think it should
be. Although, to be fair, I usually work with low priority tickets, so
that is a good reason for not caring. Not all of my patches were worth
being committed and some of the tickets I wrote patches for weren't
worth being part of WordPress.

That said, I haven't had one bad experience with having my patches
committed, I've had two (and don't ask, I've all but blocked the
experiences from my mind) and I don't count waiting a long time as an
bad experience, waiting a long time is a "WTF?". I would say that except
for a few code patches that were committed really fast (Yeah!), the only
other patches I've submitted that had good experiences, were the inline
documentation ones. I've often thought about transferring the tips I
wrote on the funcdoc blog over to the codex to help those, who might
give up after their first patch isn't committed in a timely fashion.

Jacob Santos