[wp-design] Hello, and some thoughts

Khaled Abou Alfa khaled.aboualfa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 22:52:19 GMT 2005

This is exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for. Okay let's
take things right from the top, (and Joen it's good to talk, so no
matter how wordy things get it's all good stuff, speak your mind :))

The 5th element, that's the word. I was thinking about that but I
couldn't quantify it, you're completely correct on this aspect. So
what does WordPress mean to me? I guess these are the things I
associate with it all:

Community, Speed, Flexibility, Friendly/funny (think of the
installation notes and comments to get the idea), Advanced and
unfortunately until now Ugly. But that's what we're trying to sort
out. So the last one we can remove from the core values of what we're
trying to achieve here.

What do I think signify all of the above, except funny probably are
sound waves, in 3D. They show flexibility as they bounce everywhere,
there's the element of speed, and because they come in groups of lines
they can also be seen as a community.

The closest thing I can think of is when you open Acrobat Reader 6,
you get those funky white lines, that's the sort of thing I've got in
my mind for some reason.

I guess another idea would be to try and get some sort of running figure.

I've touched up on the colours, I think we should be thinking shade of
cool shades of blue. aqua with another colour to compliment. Seems to
me we're trying to give it a bit more softer friendlier image. In
order for us to do this we have to choose either warm colours or soft
colours. One option I guess is choosing a softer pastely colour
scheme. I agree though there should be less grey. The design really
should breathe. I also agree with the communicative buttons colours.

Definitely need mock ups that we can volley around. I think that's how
the design will evolve between us.

Also just a note on icons, I'm sure it's a great coup to get this guy
Michael, but I really set my heart on doing some of the icons if it
gets down that road. I always like a challenge for every new project I
do, and I'm always trying to learn from them. Having said that I
wouldn't allow for my rubbish icons to go in there, so how's this for
a deal, if we go down the icon track, then I get a crack at doing them
first, if the general consensus is they're weak, or rubbish or
whatever, and trust me I can take the beating it's cool, what doesn't
kill me makes me stronger and all that, then you can invite your
friend to sort it out for us. Sound like a plan?

Great, finally feel we're getting started. Good work guys.