[wp-design] A New Direction

Joen Asmussen joen at noscope.com
Fri Apr 22 20:53:37 GMT 2005

Hello Esteemed Developers,

It's been a long while since there's been activity on this list. It's
also been a long while since I mailed something here. I've been very
busy with work, as I'm sure you all have too.

I've been pondering for a while, this whole Shuttle project. With the
recent mockups, it's clear to me that this is an absolutely thrillingly
exciting new thing for Wordpress. This is evident, even in it's current
state which is not quite there yet.

However, I think it might be time we got our hands dirty, or rather,
someone else did.

Obviously this is a huge project. It's pretty much grown from being an
interface overhaul, to a complete interface redesign & added visual
identity. This is quite a mouthful. Not only for us, but for the end
users as well.

So I propose (and this is not me being original), that we start actually
implementing some of our ideas.

Let's transform this project from being a complete rewrite, to being a
gradual rewrite. We'll do the redesign in phases.

Phase 1 would be trivial ground-work. Restructure the menu as we want
it, for instance renaming "Presentation" to "Themes". Maybe move the
Wordpress logo and remove the Firefox.
Phase 2 could be changing the body font of the entire interface &
switching the tabs to be topmost. Phase 3 could be to add JS/cookied
collapsible palettes to the interface. Etc. Etc.

*Benefits of doing it this way:*

* End users can gradually get used to the new features. This is
especially important for the conservative bunch that "fear changes".
* We get some wind under our wings, by seeing things get done.
* Developers gets to go to work
* We can see, in practice, what works and what doesn't, instead of just
discuss it here.
* We can get out of the cramped space of Photoshop
* We might even get a few things into 1.5.1 or .2?

So are we ready for this? I'd love to hear all of your thoughts, but I
certainly think so. The latest mockups are looking fantastic. (On that
note: Khaled, I like the colours of your latest menu redesign, but I
think we should go for tabs).

So what do you think about this?

And if you like this idea, what should we do in phase 1? And who should
do it?

Joen

--

Joen Asmussen