[theme-reviewers] Why can't theme authors have a second version of a theme?

Trent Lapinski trent at cyberchimps.com
Sat Sep 27 04:50:14 UTC 2014

Philip,

We were actually planning on doing this with most of our themes, because it makes perfect logical sense from a technological and branding stand point. It’s good, smart business practiced by almost every company in America, including WordPress, and Automattic.

There is nothing wrong about what we are purposing.

Every theme author should have the right to use their own branding for successful themes and plugins.

The TRT should not have the right to take away our ability to brand. The TRT is not the branding police and this rule is wrong.

People have been using our themes for over 3 and a half years, they trust them, and we have several established brands including iFeature, Responsive, Eclipse, and many others.

If we want to release iFeature HD, or iFeature Retina, and differentiate niche features from a core product line, who does this hurt?

It assures that users who know our brands find our products in an ever growing sea of themes.

What if we want to release a series of iFeature based child themes with different unique identifiers?

Why should we be forced to abandon our brands and our product lines for a poorly conceived guideline?

This guideline is over reaching, and never should have been put into effect as it is in the first place.

We cannot control others perception of value, we’re simply trying to release the next version of our theme without having to break anyones website. Unfortunately, because our theme is supposedly valuable shouldn’t change the problem we’re facing or the solutions to this problem.

--Trent Lapinski
CEO of CyberChimps Inc.
http://CyberChimps.com
Twitter @trentlapinski