[theme-reviewers] Forking A Theme

Fikri Rasyid fikrirasyid at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 00:13:49 UTC 2014

Edward,

I agree that it would be perfect if two authors work together on the
original theme to make it compatible. I haven't suggested it tho, should I
suggest it and pending the reviewing process of this theme?

Regarding the forking issue above, there are more things i'd love to
clarify regarding forking a theme.

Chip stated on this guideline (a bit old, tho)
http://www.chipbennett.net/2011/04/20/a-guide-to-reviewing-themes-for-the-wordpress-theme-repository/
that:

*All custom Theme functions, constants, classes, global variables, and
options are prefixed with theme-slug (or an appropriate variant).*

However, due to the nature of forking the theme, there are lots of function
prefixes and text domains that are still refer to the original theme. The
issue would be:

Is it okay to leave function prefix it as is or should one change the
function prefix to its unique theme slug when forking a theme (and
submitting it to the repository)? I'm about to ask the same question about
the text domain but it is super obvious that text domain should be unique
to the theme slug

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The argument of not being able to create a Grandchild-Theme is very strong
> so from that aspect providing proper attribution to the original theme is
> given the idea of forking a theme is fine.
>
> As to this specific theme and forking it to be specifically compatible
> with a plugin, I would expect there to be much more to the "new" theme than
> just some plugin compatibility code ... has it been suggested the two
> authors work together on the original theme to make it compatible with the
> plugin then building Child-Themes as the forking author intends would be
> more easily accomplished.
>
> Edward Caissie
> aka Cais.
>
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Fikri Rasyid <fikrirasyid at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm currently reviewing this theme
>> https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20060 and a theme @pseudoxiah
>> made me aware that that theme is 'a fork' of another theme. The diff can be
>> seen here:
>> https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/changeset?old_path=/pinboard/1.1.6&new_path=/clickhome-myhome/1.1
>>
>> The theme author argues that the reason for him to fork this instead of
>> creating a child theme is that he wants user to further create a child
>> theme based on this theme and this theme is made to be compatible and used
>> with specific plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/clickhome-myhome/)
>>
>> I honestly think that it is okay to fork and submit a fork as long as the
>> theme gives appropriate credit to the original theme. However, I'm still
>> new at this and wonder is there any specific guideline about forking a
>> theme and submit it to the repo?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> --
>> Best Regards,