[theme-reviewers] Theme Unit Tests on GitHub?

Lance Willett nanobar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:21:43 UTC 2014

Here's the checklist for preparing a new XML file, next time you need to do it.

Often when I get the new XML file from
http://wpthemetestdata.wordpress.com/ it needs a bit of massaging
before commit to our pub repo.

Here’s the process

1. WPTRT admins make changes to the test site on WP.com.
2. Go to http://wpthemetestdata.wordpress.com/ and export the full XML
file, and open it locally in a text editor.
3. Clean it up.
4. Diff it with the previous version to be sure of no weird changes or
additions, other than the expected ones.
5. Push to GitHub.
6. Go to http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Unit_Test, edit the page,
change the UTC timestamp to “now” to show the most current update
timestamp. **You can stop doing this probably since GitHub will have a
history going forward.**

Notes for the XML clean up, step 3.

Remove the following metadata elements that are specific to WP.com.

superawesome
_edit_last
email_notification
_searchme
jabber_published
geo_public
_elasticsearch_indexed_on

I look for these patterns using a text editor like TextMate or Sublime
Text, with regex search turned on:

1. https://gist.github.com/lancewillett/a7c849026e2e403399a0
2. https://gist.github.com/lancewillett/127085c444ec6ff398d1

Then search/replace with an empty string to remove from the XML file.

It's not end of the world if they make it into the Unit Test XML file,
but it's just clutter.

– Lance