[theme-reviewers] SIL Open Font License

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Oct 8 20:05:46 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Siobhan Bamber <siobhanbamber at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Looking over the GNU website, I can see that this license isn't 100%
> GPL-compatible:

As has been made clear in the other parts of this thread, SIL=OFL is
*technically* not-compatible (the best kind of not-compatible). But we do
allow it because it is compatible in all actual real-world cases.

Specifically, SIL-OFL has a clause that requires the font in question not
be distributed independently, but that it be bundled with other code. It
doesn't specify anything about this other code, so technically any "hello
world" program qualifies, thus realistically making it a dead-issue. Since
themes certainly qualify as "other-code", we do allow the use of SIL-OFL
Fonts in the repository.

For simplicity, and just not to bore everybody with the complications of
licensing and issues of law, we usually just say it's compatible. Because
it is, in all cases that actually matter. It's a technical detail that
nobody much cares about.