[theme-reviewers] Lite Themes

Styled Themes social at styledthemes.com
Thu Oct 2 16:14:13 UTC 2014

I’ve been submitting themes with the suffix name “Lite” to help differentiate it from the premium version. When I make a theme, I do one with the base name, then the free one for the repository has “Lite” added to it, which works for me.

It really does come down to common sense when naming a theme, which should be done as careful as coming up with a domain name; you do not want to infringe on another name, especially if a name is branded. The naming of a theme is the total responsibility of the developer to follow the naming guidelines, but to also do their homework. When I come up with a theme name, not only do I check the repository at WordPress.org, I also do Google checks to see if the name or similar names are being used elsewhere. Remember, there are other theme sites, shops, and even independent designers/developers who create themes.

Again, it’s common sense, but also ethics that come into play here.

Andre