[theme-reviewers] Bundling libraries and prefixing

Konstantin Kovshenin kovshenin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:50:14 UTC 2014

That's if both pieces of code try to load the script, yes, but core's
situation is a bit different.

We'll end up loading (plain, non-jQuery) Masonry v3 when a theme used
that handle to load its own jQuery Masonry v2. If the theme uses a
prefixed themename-masonry handle it will keep working.

Basically what I'm asking is for Otto to weigh in on
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27510 :)

Maybe we can change core's handle for the sake of the 20 or so
affected themes, maybe we can notify the authors, or maybe we can just
fix it and let reviewers know going forward.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 1:26 AM, Konstantin Kovshenin <kovshenin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Here's a follow-up question.
>>
>> Given that a theme has used a non-prefixed generic name for a bundled
>> script, how could we ensure it doesn't break when core introduces the
>> same handle but with a different version? Masonry v3 in 3.9 for
>> example :)
>

> If two bits of code loaded the same script with two different names, then
> they'd both load, and that would most likely cause breakage too. So you
> can't win here.
>
> Best to choose the most obvious name based on the source of the script, so
> that hopefully both of them don't load and only one of them does. This may
> break, but it's less likely to break than loading two different versions of
> the same script is.
>
> -Otto

Konstantin