[theme-reviewers] How to request "grandfathered" exception to WP 3.9 Theme guidelines?

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 18:44:20 UTC 2014

Right, and a grandfather exception was denied so just lending some advice
on something that otherwise might work or at least help.

It's a strange phenomenon really.

Technically, all these users we speak of are really WordPress' users, but
in human terms each developer actually has their own user-base comprised of
hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of
people depending on them to keep their businesses up and running.

So, even the most casual of changes made at the wporg level creates a wave
effect that gets much larger at the outer edges, and the people look to the
theme and plugin developers for the answers first.

With that said, believe me, most of the weight is on our shoulders to
educate our users, but keeping in mind that many people that use WordPress
have never even been to wordpress.org, that are using 1-click installs
through partnerships with hosts or had a web pro install it for them etc
really only understand the superficial parts like a theme or plugin, so the
old adage

"You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink."

is the big issue here even in our best attempts to educate.

Taking a closer look, the issue overall is much more complex than just
meets the eye. But alas, progress must continue and it's a basic truth of
running a website in every aspect, it's a never ending maintenance and
support process, and in that, people are always going to get mad that
expect their website to be set and forget.

Happy to see people like Bruce doing their best to stay proactive and on
top of it to try and be prepared.