[theme-reviewers] Theme Names

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Jun 26 18:32:37 UTC 2014

@Emil: You don't get to talk. "Responsive" is a terrible name. :P

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Catch Themes <info at catchthemes.com> wrote:

> Many of theme shop use common names like Box, Responsive, Awesome and so
> on. So, this means we can play with theses name by adding word before or
> after.

Well, yes, but it might make a lot more sense to actually come up with
better names. Unique ones, which, if used by somebody else, would be
clearly copying you.

I mean, I find it difficult to take somebody seriously when they say "We
were using 'BOX' first", but if somebody named their theme like, "The
Minamaze" or "Nictitate Red", then I'd say yeah, they're copying something.

( I picked two random themes from the latest update list )
https://wordpress.org/themes/minamaze
https://wordpress.org/themes/nictitate

If you choose a name that is recognizable and unique, then people very
likely won't copy it by accident, only by design.

Names matter. See, if I was in charge, I'd say that any theme with a name
like "Box" or "Responsive" or "Quality" or anything like that which is not
really unique or a "name" in any real sense of the word get an automatic
not-approved.

But, then I'm not in charge here. Use your own judgement, but c'mon... Box?
:P