[theme-reviewers] Translation-ready themes

Sami Keijonen sami.keijonen at foxnet.fi
Tue Jun 24 15:26:04 UTC 2014

I also vote for `theme-slug.pot`. That's the most generic file and
translators can use any tool they want if that's included.

Ulrich pointed out the link which have 3 good solutions to create .pot
file.

Last time I checked Poedit didn't create style.css headers like description
or custom page template names. If that's  still the case that option is
out. I use Grunt tool nowadays.

On 24 June 2014 16:44, Ulrich Pogson <grapplerulrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> The template file should be `theme-slug.pot`. The `theme-slug.mo` is
> useless and not needed.
>
> You can read up here on how to generate the POT files.
>
> https://make.wordpress.org/docs/theme-developer-handbook/theme-functionality/localization/
>
> @Edward - Interesting that you changed your view. A few months ago you
> thought that the POT file should not be compulsory.
>
> PSA - Generate your own mo files when receiving a translation as the mo
> file could contain different strings to the po file. The po file is human
> readable but the mo file is not.
>
> --
Sami Keijonen
Fox Holding Oy