[theme-reviewers] Help to Review in Child Theme - Accessibility Ready Theme

Joe Dolson design at joedolson.com
Tue Jul 22 22:40:59 UTC 2014

The parent theme update issue is one I raised in the accessibility team, as
well; the main reason I want to give this some time is to have more
discussion within the accessibility team.

Best,
Joe

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Justin Tadlock <justin at justintadlock.com>
wrote:

> After giving this some thought, I agree with Chip and Cais that we should
> probably only allow the "accessibility-ready" tag on child themes if the
> parent theme also has this tag.
>
> One big reason for this is that any single parent theme update could break
> accessibility for the child theme.  Then, we'd be in a position of having
> to make sure the child theme keeps updated or possibly suspending the theme
> (as with a recent discussion).
>
> I really think any improvements like this should be passed back upstream.
>  I honestly don't think most theme authors would mind getting some help on
> making their theme better, especially if it's something simple enough that
> a child theme could fix.  And, if it's not simple stuff, I think the theme
> should simply be forked.
>

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Joe Dolson <design at joedolson.com> wrote:
>
>> This has been on interesting conversation in the accessibility team, and
>> we're pretty well split. Since it's an issue that's never yet come up, it's
>> hard to apply any real world perspective on it, as well.
>>
>> From the a11y team's perspective, being able to submit a child theme that
>> implements accessibility is not the best way to get accessibility into a
>> theme; but is sometimes the only way, when the primary developer isn't open
>> to the suggestion. One member suggested that anybody wanting to submit a
>> child theme that would do this would have to demonstrate that they'd
>> already made an attempt to provide a11y fixes to the parent theme; but I'm
>> not sure how that would work, practically speaking.
>>
>> Do we need to make a decision on this right now, given that it hasn't
>> come up yet?
>>
>> Best,
>> Joe
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com
>> > wrote:

>>> This is the point I was putting forward.
>>>

>>> Edward Caissie
>>> aka Cais.

>> --

Joseph Dolson
Accessibility consultant & WordPress developer
http://www.joedolson.com
http://profiles.wordpress.org/joedolson