[theme-reviewers] Help to Review in Child Theme - Accessibility Ready Theme

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 21:31:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Joe Dolson <design at joedolson.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure that's true, actually - if a child theme wants to add
> accessibility features and correct accessibility issues in a parent theme,
> I don't see any reason that wouldn't be allowed.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the scope of accessibility ... I would
suspect if the Parent-Theme is not a11y compliant enough to be able to use
the "accessibility" tag the Child-Theme would almost need to re-write every
template file to accommodate the a11y requirements. Maybe the functions.php
would not be affected but if everything else is, it would strike me as more
feasible to fork the theme rather than create a Child-Theme in these cases.

Again, I could just be seeing the scope of providing a11y compliance as too
large, or more complex than what it is ... there is no reason specifically
that a Child-Theme could not pick up the pieces, just doesn't seem likely
to be done in my limited understanding of a11y.

Edward Caissie
aka Cais.