[theme-reviewers] Contribution days

Tammie Lister karmatosed at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:32:07 UTC 2014

That rocks Emil, and I absolutely appreciate all the effort put in by
admins to help assign. This happened for us at WordCamp Manchester also, I
think we woke Chip up a long list of emails :) Your workloads as admins are
huge though, I'd love to find a way to make this easier on you and the new
reviewers.

However, that doesn't solve the times when people are busy. Dealing camp by
camp isn't a great way for scalability. People rightly have lives outside
of theme reviews and I feel relying on anyone being around isn't great or a
good solid long term plan. It's unfair on anyone. I'd love to see every
contribution day (a girl can dream) have a group for Theme Review. At that
scale, it would be hard to have someone be there all the time.

Thanks,
Tammie Lister

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Emil Uzelac <emil at uzelac.me> wrote:

> I will be in San Francisco for 5 days, including the Contribution Days.
> Tickets can be assigned on the spot if needed.
>

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Srikanth Koneru <tskk79 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A theme that does everything wrong as a training tool, for new reviewers
>> to cut their teeth, they can practice on it and when ready can start
>> reviewing themes. I think that will greatly reduce admin effort in auditing
>> approved themes.
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM, Tammie Lister <karmatosed at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to take a little moment to start up a discussion on whether
>>> there is anything we can do to make contribution days run a little smoother
>>> for theme reviews.
>>>
>>> Currently, we have a request post that people post to in order to get a
>>> review. Once assigned, they can do the review. This works well if time
>>> isn’t poor, often at contribution days we just want to strike while the
>>> iron is hot and get people contributing. Our current method also puts extra
>>> weight on admins, who already are doing a great amount of work.
>>>
>>> Having people post also poses issues when people may not have posted on
>>> the blog. They then have to wait to be approved as flagged as potential
>>> spam before they can even post. This is a double hurdle.
>>>
>>> I absolutely understand why we need to have a process and why we can’t
>>> just let anyone review anything without easing them in. However, I do
>>> wonder what could be done to improve this process and encourage more people
>>> to contribute. We need reviewers and contribution days are a great place to
>>> recruit :)
>>>
>>> If one of us that can assign our own reviews, is at a contribution day
>>> we can assign to ourselves. But, that limits it again. Ideally nobody would
>>> need to be there that has any level.
>>>
>>> I don’t claim to have the answers, but I have a few possibilities:
>>> 1. Better documentation on how to do your first review. I think Chip,
>>> you were going to refresh your great post about that - time willing of
>>> course.
>>> 2. A ‘how to run a theme review section at contribution day’ section.