[theme-reviewers] Question: Someone Want to Take Benefit From a'Top Reviewer of the Month'.

Chris Dohman cpd at dohman.net
Thu Jan 30 15:11:40 UTC 2014

I was a bit skeptical of the of the idea where the top reviewers got to
choose their own themes for the featured list but thought it was okay to
see where it went. Now that we are into it a ways I don't believe it is a
good idea. It is apparent the practice skews the motivation for reviewing,
and rushing through reviews to increase one's review count may come at the
expense of a thorough review.

1. I don't  think accepting money for naming someone's theme to the
featured list is an honorable practice nor something .org wants to be
associated with. I'm surprised there is debate about it, but it is great a
civil debate can be had.

2. I question whether there should even be a featured list. What is the
purpose of "Featured Themes" in the first place? Is there a purpose? The
definition of "featured" is "Given special prominence, attention, or
publicity." It is simply giving special prominence without purpose or
reason.  If we feel we need to show themes to people, let's define some
type of themes we think would be of benefit to the users looking for a new
theme, not the themes that would benefit us.

3. Theme reviewers make a great contribution and I thank all of you for
that. You do a great job. I think creating a "Meet the Review Team" page
with photos and profile links of all the theme reviewers would be a great
way to acknowledge reviewers instead of doling out featured themes. here's
a meet the team example page = http://goo.gl/eyJft6 It could also be
ordered by number of reviews done to provide incentive.