[theme-reviewers] Question: Someone Want to Take Benefit From a'Top Reviewer of the Month'.

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Jan 29 22:03:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Bryan Hadaway <bhadaway at gmail.com> wrote:

> One idea that might work is to instead of having "Featured" themes be so
> prominent and everything else, simple text link lists, there could be 4
> columns (floated divs) side-by-side, equal in size to one another, all with
> screenshots:
>
> Featured | Popular | New | Updated
>
> That way, both featured themes and naturally popular themes would share
> the real estate and exposure. But, if I remember correctly, it might be a
> difficulty of it being dynamic and not static, which would need to manually
> be managed?

Any redesign would involve a lot of code change, so don't expect it
soon-ish. :)

But I have been thinking about it and comparing a few things I've seen
elsewhere.

- The first thing to look at is along the lines of the WordPress Appearance
menu. It's responsive which is nice, but it doesn't give a lot of
information. But the popup on click is kinda neat:
https://cloudup.com/cQfOa8x383W

- Then I looked at WordPress.com's version of same. Looks like they added a
menu bar at the top for quick access, which has merit:
https://cloudup.com/ckcBfBBtism

I looked at a lot of other theme sites too, and I found one thing: Most
theme sites are just fugly, man. Like, wow:
http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

- So I looked elsewhere for places where lots of things were shown. At
things like YouTube's channel design. A bit crowded, certainly, but the
horizontal scrolling on the playlists is interesting:
https://cloudup.com/cQmy8wknAnN

The playlists there are especially interesting because they made me think
of the Favorites for plugins. A list of somebody's favorite themes might be
an idea to display something a bit different.

- I tried a Vimeo channel too. Not a lot of surprise here:
http://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/videos

- Flickr likes to squeeze a lot of images on the page. Not surprising for
photos though. Their "sets" and "collections" pages are much less
interesting visually though:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/otto42/sets/72157622494034739/

I dunno what the right way is. These are just some things I looked at for
ideas.