[theme-reviewers] Question: Someone Want to Take Benefit From a 'Top Reviewer of the Month'.

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Jan 29 15:15:23 UTC 2014

Mel, we agree with respect to transparency/full disclosure. If it's under
the table, it's unacceptable - from individuals or from Theme shops.

Where I'm really struggling, though, is the issue of bribery/abuse. Themes
have multiple layers of approval before being listed in the Directory, and
only Themes getting listed in the Directory count toward the incentive.
Now, if someone were to contact an admin, and offer money to "grease the
skids" on marking approved Themes as "Live", *that* would clearly be abuse.

But as it is, we have someone offering to pay a reviewer to conduct full
and thorough reviews to the point of approval and being marked as Live by
an independent admin. More Themes get approved and listed in the Directory.
A volunteer gets paid for time and effort. All else equal/taken in a
vacuum, I have no inherent problem with that.

Any opportunities for abuse beyond that already exist in the system, and
can already be exploited.