[theme-reviewers] Option to create child theme from theme option

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Jan 22 15:11:15 UTC 2014

At this point, it's just a discussion matter, not a settled issue.

But looking at that
functionality<http://themes.svn.wordpress.org/epic/1.1.1/includes/theme-options.php>:
wow, that would make a really awesome Plugin. It basically would let users
create a Child Theme using the currently active Theme as its template
(Parent Theme).

IMHO, that's Plugin territory.

And also: I really don't like the idea of asking Theme reviewers also to
have to be Plugin reviewers.. I question whether it is reasonable to ask a
*Theme* reviewer to have to understand not only the WordPress template
system, but *also* the Filesystem API, in order to review that Theme
properly? There are very few reviewers competent to conduct such a review
(and while I'm pretty sure I could get through it, I would have to go back
into the Filesystem API docs to be sure; it's certainly not inherent). Otto
could conduct that review without research. Justin might be able to. A few
others (who do both Plugin and Theme development) could. But the vast
majority?

Just my thoughts...