[theme-reviewers] Abandoned/Changed Theme Name, Requesting Transfer

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Apr 18 21:02:10 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Scott Sousa <scott at slocumstudio.com> wrote:

>  Chip,
>
> Thanks for steering the topic back on track. A potential issue with
> keeping abandoned theme names with the original author would be: does that
> open the table up for squatting? That is to say if the original author
> always gets to keep the theme name, what's to stop someone from submitting
> a theme with that name to reserve it? In this case, Journal was not
> approved, yet the name still remains with the original author. Just a
> thought.
>
> Scott

The bottom line is that this is how the system currently works. Until we
change it, and we might eventually, names are first-come, first-serve.
There is no way to "release" a theme name in the system at present.

You can have all the discussion on the topic you like, but in the end,
giving a name to somebody else involves me doing manual database
jiggery-pokery, which I prefer to avoid doing if at all possible.

So I'm really heavily inclined to say "no" to this one, based on the fact
that it's simply not a unique name, there is potential for damage to
people's sites who are using those other themes, and the fact that it is an
extremely generic term used in several other theme names as well.