[theme-reviewers] Deregistering mediaelement style / script

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Apr 10 23:18:53 UTC 2014

You know what, I'm going to contradict myself. The cleanest way to
wholesale override the mediaelement playlist CSS is to deregister the core
style, and enqueue your own. Something like so:

/**
 * Function action to override playlist CSS
 */
function themeslug_override_playlist_style() {
wp_dequeue_style( 'wp-mediaelement' );
wp_enqueue_style( 'themeslug-mediaelement', $url );
}
add_action( 'wp_playlist_scripts', 'themeslug_override_playlist_style', 11
);

Now, if you just need to filter the "skins" (default are "dark" and
"light"), to add a custom skin, that's filterable, and should be done via
filter. But if a Theme needs/wants to override the CSS completely, I don't
have a huge problem with it.

I dug quite a bit, looking for a better way to filter; but I didn't find
anything. Maybe wp_add_inline_style() could be useful?