[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Fri Sep 20 20:14:24 UTC 2013

The issue here is really all about whether a theme can block
features/code bundled within the theme itself without a paid
subscription.  It's not connecting to an API to use a service (like
Akismet).  It's connecting to an API to determine whether particular
code in the theme will run based on nothing more than a payment.

For a simple example, this code in `footer.php`:

     <?php if(!pl_is_pro()):?>
         <a class="pl-credit" href="http://www.pagelines.com/"
title="Built with PageLines DMS [basic]" target="_blank" style="display:
block !important; visibility: visible !important; opacity: 1 !important;">
             <i class="icon-pagelines pl-transit"></i> <span
class="fademein">DMS</span>
         </a>
     <?php endif; ?>

I'm sure most of you can understand it, but I'll break it down:

* A footer link is displayed if you do not have a subscription to their
pro service.
* The inline style rules break our guidelines on inline style rules.
* The inline style rules seem to be there solely to make it hard for
users to hide this via CSS.

Obviously, anyone can remove that if they know where to look and a
little bit about code.  But, the lengths in which the theme author has
gone to block users from removing a footer credit wouldn't be allowed in
any other theme.

I haven't had a chance to fully look over the code, but I'm guessing
based on the comments so far, that this is just one of many similar
restrictions.  It seems the gist of everyone's concern is about actual
restriction within the theme code that's being put on WordPress.org.

Let's all assume that there's no GPL issues.  The question then becomes
whether this violates WordPress.org policy and/or theme review policy.

So, let's talk policy.

Assuming I understand the issues clearly, let me present another example
that's not tied to the theme in question.

Suppose in the next theme I upload to WordPress.org, I decided to create
some color and layout options for the theme customizer.  This code
would, obviously, be within the theme.  However, anyone who downloads
this theme from WordPress.org would not be allowed to use my theme
customizer options out of the box.  They'd need to purchase an API key
for this feature to become unlocked.  Of course, anyone who knows a
little PHP can go in and change the code so that it works without an API
key.

 From what I've gathered from this discussion, that example is no
different (please do correct me if I'm wrong).  I'm not sure if that
necessarily breaks the GPL (probably not).  It's more a matter of policy
-- whether this is something that we should allow on the WordPress.org
theme repository.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding anything that's happening with the
code and hope I didn't misrepresent the situation.  I'll be sure to give
it a better look when I get a chance.