[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 20:03:23 UTC 2013

*@Otto*

"*In my view, the issue existed in the theme, up until they moved the
problem code to a plugin on their own site. And I'm kind of okay with that.*
"

Like all tickets, there are usually more than one issue. We are indeed
talking about 2 different issues. Moving the code to a plugin was regarding
resolving shortcode and "plugin territory" issues and has nothing to do
with the GPL issues.

Anyways, perhaps you don't get down into the reviewing trenches much, but
this is no different than the scrutiny all themes go through, there are
lots GPL, license, copyright and guideline issues that come up that theme
authors must comply with for inclusion. The review process has always been
rigorous, why would we make an exception now?

"*If the code ain't hosted on .org, and you have to pay to obtain it, then
I don't much care what the code actually does.*"

I think that's the biggest disconnect of confusion. You might think that,
but any theme developer can tell you that they jumped through some serious
hoops to get their theme approved. I personally had to modify a pro theme
of mine heavily to be 100% GPL compatible and is the same for lots of
developers who have free themes in the repo and also sell pro themes,
again, why should there ever be an exception?