[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Sep 20 19:50:09 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Bryan Hadaway <bhadaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because, I'm going to bang on pots and pans until you actually acknowledge
> that the horse ever even existed. The issue isn't contained within the walls
> of the theme's code, it's a licensing issue that has not changed just
> because a new version of the theme was uploaded.

In my view, the issue existed in the theme, up until they moved the
problem code to a plugin on their own site. And I'm kind of okay with
that.

So as far as I'm concerned, the issue is not an issue anymore.

Now, as I see it, you're wanting to create a whole new issue, one
where now we impose even more strict guidelines on theme authors. As
near as I can tell, you essentially want the theme review team to say
that subscription models are unacceptable. Well, call me crazy, but I
don't think that's a really good idea.

If you want to fine-pick the nitty gritty details and go "oh-noes
they're selling code that actually checks for subscriptions", well I'm
going to say that checking for subscriptions really doesn't bother me
too awful much, as long as the code to do so ain't on WordPress.org.

So yeah. That's my viewpoint. I don't much care whether they have a
subscription model or not for their own code that is being sold from
their own site. My 2 cents.