[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Sep 20 19:22:05 UTC 2013

This is why it matters, and why it is within our scope and
purview<http://wordpress.org/themes/about/>
:

Themes from sites that support non-GPL (or compatible) themes or violate
the WordPress community guidelines themes will not be approved.

Now, I don't believe for one second that this policy is limited to Themes,
and that non-GPL Plugins would be treated any differently. If the Plugin
subscription model represents a GPL-incompatible usage restriction, then it
should fall under this same policy, which is based on WordPress
free-software philosophy <http://wordpress.org/about/philosophy/>.